Friday, January 15, 2010

How do we keep book-joy alive?

The first sentence of The Children of Cyberspace: Old Fogies by Their 20s by Brad Stone made me cry. 

"My 2-year-old daughter surprised me recently with two words: 'Daddy’s book.' She was holding my Kindle electronic reader."

It's a bit known that I like REAL books.  Don't try to hand me one of those e-books.

I don't ignore that OTHER people may like the coldness and efficiency of a hand-held reader, but they're not for me.  Unfortunately, though, they seem to be changing the way the next generation thinks about reading.

I know each generation is different.  They each have their Cabbage Patch Kids, their 8-tracks, their Shaun Cassidy posters.  It's cool that new things are invented every day. What gets me though, is that we have always thought of a car as a car.  A hamburger is a hamburger. They look a little different today and are way more advanced, but they are obviously cars and hamburgers.  Kindles don't even look like BOOKS.

Books...those warm, cuddle-up-with-me pages of goodness.  How can we let that experience fall by the wayside?  Will our kids be so used to the coldness of electronics that they will have no desire to smell the pages as they turn them?  Won't they want to fold the pages back as a paperback is read?  Won't they want to write in the margins?  Won't they want to share the books with their friends and donate read books to their local library by the box full?

I haven't seen where downloaded books can be shared.  You can't SHARE what you are reading?!  I know...I cried, too.


Technology is taking over.  How can we keep book-joy alive?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment