Monday, February 8, 2010

What inspires you to learn?

Obviously, the way I learn is different than how you learn.

In the sometimes fast-paced, quickly-changing OPLIN environment, I feel a little left out for a while when something is changed. I have lots of notes (but no...passwords are NOT kept under my keyboard) and I really do try to pay attention, but after a while of listening to "tech talk" my eyes glaze over and I begin thinking about checking my Facebook account to see if anything fun and mindless is happening.

To make me really learn something, please do the following:
  • Make sure it applies to me and tell me WHY.
  • Give me the back story so I can put it in perspective.
  • SHOW me. Not only show me the product or idea, but show it being used successfully somewhere so I can tie it all together in my head.
  • Give me time to play with it.
  • Give me a handout or something to refer to later because after the glaze happens, I can not be responsible for knowing a thing you just said. Also, it may be three weeks before I have to do it again and I will have forgotten the how's and why's.
That being said, I am wondering about how we tell you, OPLIN Land, about our services. We are here for you, but do you know WHY? Do you even know we exist?

When we present something new to you, is it in a format that helps you "get" what we're saying?

Mostly, we send an e-mail announcements. Lots of text. Some of the WHY.
Hmmm...sounds like the exact opposite of the way I learn and remember things.

Of course, this isn't about me, it's about YOU. How do YOU want to receive OPLIN announcements? I mean, they are going to be e-mail, website and RSS, but I mean what FORMAT do you want?
.

No comments:

Post a Comment