Thursday, March 25, 2010

Social and emotional

Someone close to my heart died yesterday morning.  Before social media, I would have told close friends and family, but in this day and age, I was tempted to post this to Facebook and Twitter.  I didn't, but others do regularly.  I've "been there" (sometimes from miles and miles away) for people when they've had major surgeries, lost pets and I've lamented with them about gaining weight and getting older. 

Supposedly, your online friends are your real life friends. Really though, you have online acquaintances - your boss, coworkers, colleagues, etc., and while their outpouring of sympathies may be comforting, I'm wondering if social boundaries should be redrawn.

Would people see me as less than professional if I posted something so personal as grief?  Will what I say be re-posted and live on forever on other sites?  What if I ever want that moment of grief to just "go away" and stop serving as a reminder to a difficult time?

It's difficult to always be the perky one when you're the face of an organization, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment