Wednesday, April 7, 2010

In my heart, I'm an enabler.


The call began like this:

"Well, if YOU'RE not doing database training, and the STATE LIBRARY'S not doing database training, what am I supposed to do?!"


I gave her at least three resources, but obviously, nothing I said was going to appease her, and very unprofessionally, I told her that.  Luckily, she laughed and agreed.

I have thought about that call for three days now.  I want to help her, I really do.  I want to go there and hold each library staff member's hand and show them that databases can be easy and FUN.

But that would be bad.

On one hand, there comes a point when you need to let go and stop being an enabler.  They're big kids now.  Give them the resources and make your staff and patrons responsible for their own learning.

On the other hand, I feel responsible.  They're our resources. They're our customers.  They're our responsibility.  And if they don't get it, it's our problem.
.

3 comments:

  1. What's to train? There's a search box; you type words in it and find stuff that helps you. If that doesn't work, the database isn't worth paying all that money for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the person who called said her staff needed the basics. Claimed they didn't know even what "full text" meant.

    I had no response to that, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. Not your problem. It's a management issue, exacerbated by the refusal to institute consequences for not performing to a minimally-acceptable level. But that does leave the poor trainer frustrated!

    ReplyDelete