Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Marketing the obvious

I thought this was really clever, but only after someone explained it to me. 

A local pizza place said that they were having a one-day only sale on April 15th.  You could get a large pizza for $10.40.When I asked a co-worker if they wanted to share, she said, "That's FUNNY!"

I didn't understand.  We always share our pizzas.  She's my pizza buddy.  I thought the world may come to an end.  When she saw my tears, she said, "It's funny because it's tax day."

OH. 1040.  I get it now.

And then...there's a holiday that comes every year on 5/4. It's "Star Wars Day." I don't know how many years it's been celebrated, but I never caught on.  It comes on May 4th.  Get it?  May the 4th.

May the 4th be with you?  Really?  How is a normal person supposed to connect the dots on that one?

My point is, you may have a clever slogan, logo, or PR stunt, but if it's not obvious, some folks are missing out.  I guess your usual stuff better be good enough to reel them in till your clever stunt blows over. 

Sorry, but I'm not heading to the library tonight, folks...I'm in the mood for pizza and a movie.

*Yoda pizza pic courtesy of Geekologie.

1 comment:

  1. I had to read "May the 4th be with you" a couple of times before I got it. In my defense, though, there was a confusing comma after "4th" when I saw it the first time.

    ReplyDelete