Friday, June 11, 2010

The real value = the service you provide = BOOK

Many people these days are focusing on the value of libraries.  I am not going to dispute that one bit!  But why are we talking about libraries, when we should be talking about the services they provide? 

Today, I had the ultimate experience with my favorite library service: THE BOOK.

I started reading The Bondswoman's Narrative by Hannah Crafts.  From what I can tell, the introduction is longer than the entire book.  Still, I kept reading, immersing myself in the life and times of a freed slave.

Unfortunately...
     I had one of the worst possible lunches (bologna sandwich and water - yuck).
     I was outside, so I had bugs landing on me CREEPING ME OUT.
     I spotted poison ivy across the fence and the mere sight of it made me ITCH.
     I had annoying people slamming their car doors all around, beeping their horns to set their alarms.

BUT...I also had a new book...a nice breeze...a full tummy...sounds of the city, sounds of the birds, and blue skies with white fluffy clouds (you know the ones...the ones that can only be found in Ohio).

THAT was an ideal lunch. And at that moment, it really had nothing to do with my library.  Just me and my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment