Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Step this way....

Just when I was starting to enjoy going to the movies again, we're moving to a place where I don't even know how to locate the closest grocery, let alone the closest theater.  Does Ft. Forth even HAVE theaters?!

One of the reasons I don't like going to the movies is because of the ticket price.  (That, and the constant sound of CRUNCHING in the background.  Stupid popcorn!)  Anyway, since these tickets are free, I can put up with a bit of extra noise around me.  Somewhat.  Anyway...

The movie we saw last week was "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" with Nicholas Cage.  Honestly, this movie was as predictable as all of his others, but it was still an ok way to spend the evening.  I would wait for this one to come out and watch it at home, though.

The customer service connection to the premier:  We were at a different theater for this one, and the line formed on the steps.  Yes, the steps. While I was thankful to have a seat for the hour we were waiting to get in, I thought it was a bad idea for a couple of reasons:

  • No handicapped accessibility to the line.  There was an escalator, but the person couldn't really stand in line over there.
  • If you were afraid of heights, you were out of luck.  This staircase was HUGE!
  • Luckily, we were near the top of the steps where we could feel the air conditioning.  People below us were fanning themselves and sweating.  I was hoping no one would pass out and take a tumble.
The bonus was that I could see everyone arriving, so when my friend came in, I could easily get her attention from the top of the steps.  I'm not normally able to find her till the last second, and then people start shhhhh-ing us because we're giggling, and then we end up rolling our eyes and they throw popcorn in our hair (stupid popcorn!).

The moral of the story?  Sometimes, out of necessity, we create obstacles for our users.  When that has to happen, try to accommodate.  In this case, they could have offered a cheap bottle of water, or a "take a number" kind of system so that moviegoers could go have a seat somewhere less threatening and then get in line at the last minute.

What obstacles do your customers face?  How can you ease their pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment